Aide-Memoire: We Will Make Mistakes and It Will Be Okay

I pondered quite long whether to write this because my stance is to never tell anything happen at work to public. However, I've decided differently; no obvious figure will be mentioned here and no tea will be served. Everything in this post here are merely my personal view. Not about the event per se. 

But if you know, then you know.

 they*
(a gender neutral referencing to a particular figure, to not disclose the said figure's identity)

-----
There was a huge drama happened at work. Quick story; a colleague repeat same trouble, however this time, causing huge backlash from my seniors. I didn't understand the degree of these issue when it happened but others told me the colleague was problematic from day one (even before I joined them). The climax came down to when one of my seniors (will be called subordinate due to different position in next paragraph) gave full feedback to our superior figure, in private. All of this to solve one root of the problem- the superior.

  Now here is the reason this post exist- the subordinate. When I heard about the personal meeting they* made and its whole context, another level of respect gain for them*. Giving constructive feedback to your upper figure is the hardest thing to do, especially when your upper figure had their own ego (fuel up from "years of experience" bullshit). To confront superior of these kind, you need no knowledge but solely rely on a massive amount of strength because this time, you're tearing down walls of ego they've been building. So you'll never know the judgement they'll make. You step in and get done with it.


  It open my eyes on how distressing they* must be to bow down to power struggle at work. Often than not, workplace are dominated by different level of status, but here at mine, there are barely 3 level of status. Even so, my seniors get marginalized still in decision-making. Power struggle here is still tight unfortunately. Seniors and juniors are hardly noticed for their thoughts.

Seeing this situation for few months in, I guess the said subordinate has decided, it's time to 'scream'.
They* are furious enough being a 'yes man'.

  I have a fond relationship with feedback from juniors. Indeed at work, I personally encourage my subordinate to always speak up constructively for anything that I did wrong. Because let's get real here; regardless of which level are we going to stand in, we are naturally human and will, always will, make mistakes. Another take from this is, to never take ourselves seriously. Ego was mostly build on a basis of pushing ourselves too hard to reach perfection and once we reached it, we accept no criticism since we have worked diligently to get where we are now. To soften this arrogant feeling, we will need to teach ourselves that nothing is well-rounded. It's okay to make mistakes. Even as a superior.

What is not okay is when you never learn from your mistakes.
Even as a superior.

  I understand one day I will be reacting egotistically to people pointing out my mistake. One day I'll deny my own flaws because I've worked so hard to improve myself every day. Predicting this ahead to teach myself humbleness. Hopefully when the day come, I'll be able to return to this post to remind me again; that's okay and I can correct my mistake.

  Nonetheless, salute to the said subordinate for speaking up because that's a real power. Frankly, the ambiance at my work now has changed since that particular day. Whether it's going to be good or bad, it's still too soon to judge. Well, we will figure it out once we start walking, right? So just hang in there. Hoping to see more strength reveal by them* and other seniors.

Signing off.
An aide-memoire: we will make mistakes and it'll be okay.

Comments